Working Group on the draft declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples
Last session of the Working Group on the draft Declaration of the rights of indigenous peoples before the adoption of the Declaration by the General Assembly on 13 September 2007.
The eleventh session of the inter-sessional working group on the draft United Nations declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples took place from 5-16 December 2005 and its resumed session from 30 January–3 February 2006 in Geneva.
Resumed session (30 January-3 February 2006) :
Report of the Working Group
- Draft report of the working group (E/CN.4/2005/WG.15/CRP.6)
- Chairman Summaries (E/CN.4/2005/WG.15/CRP.7)
- Information provided by Norway on provisional agreement of articles
- Provisional agenda (E/CN.4/2005/WG.15/1)
Session (5-16 December 2005):
- Proposals of the Chairperson-Rapporteur (E/CN.4/2005/WG.15/2)
- Information provided by the Government of Mexico on the International workshop on the draft UN declaration (Patzcuaro, Michoacán, Mexico, 26-30 September 2005) (E/CN.4/2005/WG.15/CRP.1)
- Joint submission by indigenous organizations on “General Provisions” of the Draft U.N. Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (E/CN.4/2005/WG.15/CRP.2)
- Joint submission by indigenous organizations on Urgent Need to Improve the U.N. Standard-Setting Process Importance of Criteria of “Consistent with International
Law and its Progressive Development”
- Joint submission by indigenous organizations on Indigenous Peoples’ Right to Restitution (E/CN.4/2005/WG.15/CRP.4)
- Comments and amendments to examined articles of the draft declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples formunlated by the World Peace Council and the Indian Movement Rupaj Katari (E/CN.4/2005/WG.15/CRP.5, in Spanish only)
Secretariat of the Working Group on the draft declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Fax: +41 22-928.90.66
The open-ended inter-sessional Working Group on the draft declaration was established in 1995 accordance with Commission on Human Rights resolution 1995/32 and Economic and Social Council resolution 1995/32. The Working Group has the sole purpose of elaborating a draft declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples, considering the draft contained in the annex to resolution 1994/45 of 26 August 1994 entitled draft "United Nations declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples". The draft is being prepared for consideration and adoption by the General Assembly during the International Decade of the World's Indigenous People.
The Working Group on the draft declaration is a subsidiary organ of the Commission on Human Rights and is composed of representatives of Member States. As in similar human rights bodies, non-governmental and indigenous organizations with consultative status with the Economic and Social Council may take part in the proceedings. However, Commission on Human Rights resolution 1995/32 also sets out a procedure for participation for indigenous organizations without consultative status.
The General Assembly, in its resolution 50/156 of 21 December 1995, decided that the United Nations Voluntary Fund for Indigenous Populations should also be used to assist representatives of indigenous communities and organizations authorized to participate in the deliberations of the Working Group on the draft declaration. Organizations of indigenous peoples approved under the procedure established by Commission resolution 1995/32 or with ECOSOC status, which are interested in taking part in the Working Group should contact: WGindigenous@ohchr.org