Français | Español
Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples - Accreditation
Deadline for the accreditation at the third session is 25 June 2010
According to paragraph 9 of resolution 6/36, the meeting of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples shall be open to the participation of observers through an open and transparent accreditation procedure in accordance with the rules of the Human Rights Council.
The following information is for:
- Representatives of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC),
- Representatives of indigenous peoples organizations and representatives of NGOs not in consultative status with ECOSOC
- Academics and experts on indigenous peoples
- National Human Rights Institutions
- Beneficiaries of the United Nations Voluntary Fund for Indigenous Populations
Observers wishing to participate in the third session of the Expert Mechanism are invited to complete the three steps accreditation procedure by:
- Preparing a letter requesting accreditation, according to the description below.
- Complete the online registration form, (include the scanned letter requesting accreditation and the registration information).
- Print, fill and bring to the session the Conference Registration Form (no need to be sent to the Secretariat)
Important notice: The letter requesting accreditation and the online registration form are necessary for taking into account your accreditation request. The registration deadline is 25 June 2010. The Conference Registration Form is necessary for getting a badge to access the Conference Room.
LETTER REQUESTING ACCREDITATION
The letter requesting accreditation to the third session of the Expert Mechanism must contain the following elements:
- It must be submitted on the official letterhead of the organization.
- It must clearly state the title and duration of the session the organization wishes to attend, (e.g. “Name of NGO, in consultative status with ECOSOC, wishes to send the following members to attend the [insert relevant session number] session of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples [insert date of session] …”).
- The letter needs to be signed by the President, Director or the Main Representative of the organization.
- It must also indicate the name/s (first name and family name) of the person/s who will represent the organization at the Expert Mechanism session:
- Names of persons must appear exactly as they appear in the ID document,
- Family Name(s) should be capitalized.
NGOs not in consultative status with ECOSOC are also kindly requested to indicate the date of birth and nationality of their representatives.
HOW TO GET THE IDENTITY BADGE TO HAVE ACCESS TO THE CONFERENCE ROOM?
Once in Geneva, you should apply in person to the accreditation office at the security entrance at Pregny Gate, 8-14 Avenue de la Paix. Upon presentation of an identity document and a copy of the letter of accreditation sent (by email or fax) by the concerned NGO, the accreditation officer will issue a photo-badge granting access to the Palais des Nations. This badge will remain valid for the duration of the session, and will permit the badge-holder unrestricted access to the conference room.
The accreditation office at the “Pregny Gate” security entrance will be open from Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 17:00.
SPECIFIC INFORMATION TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT
1. NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS IN CONSULTATIVE STATUS WITH ECOSOC
Ensure that the name/s of those representative/s of the NGO already in possession of a valid identity badge issued by the United Nations Office in Geneva (UNOG) Security and Safety Section, and who plan to attend the third session of the Expert Mechanism, are also included in the accreditation request, with an indication that the person/s holds an annual badge.
Renewal of the designation of representatives
NGOs are reminded that each year they need to send information concerning their organization and renew the designation of representatives to the United Nations, by completing the DESA/NGO/2008 form, as from 1 January of the current year. This form can be found on the following website: http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo
When completed, the form must be returned by fax or by mail to: NGO Liaison Unit, Office of the Director-General, United Nations Office in Geneva, Palais des Nations, Room 155, 1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland; Fax: +41 22 917 05 83; Tel: +41 22 917 21 27; E-mail: email@example.com .
2. NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS INSTITUTIONS
National Human Rights Institutions should follow the accreditation procedure established for the Human Rights Council.
We would invite any National Human Rights Institutions interested in participating to the Expert Mechanism session to also fill the online registration form by the 25 June 2010 (registration deadline).
3. BENEFICIARIES OF THE VOLUNTARY FUND FOR INDIGENOUS POPULATIONS
Beneficiaries do not need to send the letter requesting accreditation. However, they must complete the registration form by the 25 June 2010 (registration deadline).
4. ACCESS TO THE PUBLIC GALLERY
The secretariat wishes to remind all persons who wish to observe the proceedings of third session of the Expert Mechanism without being accredited as participants (mainly students, researchers and academics) that there are a limited number of seats in the Public Gallery, above the conference room. Individuals or groups who wish to attend are required to send a letter (24 hours before the desired date) to the secretariat, containing the following information:
a) Date/s of the visit;
b) Purpose of the visit; and
c) Full name/s of those wishing to attend (Family Names in capital).
Access to the public gallery will be granted depending on the availability of seating and other circumstances.