1. Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) wishing to accredit representatives to the first session of the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee are invited to send their request to the secretariat of the Human Rights Council by fax to the following number:
Fax: +41 22 917 90 11
Telephone: +41 22 917 96 41
2. The letter requesting accreditation must contain the following elements:
(a) Request is submitted on the official letterhead of the organization;
(b) Request clearly states the title and duration of the session the organization wishes to attend, e.g. "[Name of NGO], in consultative status with the ECOSOC, wishes to send the following members to attend the first session of the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee (4 to 15 August 2008) ...";
(c) Request must be signed by the President or the Main Representative of the organization in Geneva ;
(d) Request should also indicate the name/s (first name and family name) of the person/s who will represent the organization at the session. Names of persons must appear exactly as they appear in identification documents; family name(s) must to be capitalized.
It is important to ensure that the name(s) of those members already in possession of a valid identity badge issued by the United Nations Office in Geneva (UNOG) Security and Safety Section, and who plan to attend the first session of the Advisory Committee, is/are also included in the accreditation letter, with an indication that the person(s) holds an annual badge:
(a) Representatives in possession of an identity badge issued by the UNOG Security and Safety Section or the United Nations Organization in New York (UNO), valid for the duration of the session, will have unrestricted access to the conference rooms. However, they should announce themselves to the Secretariat through the fax number stated above.
(b) Representatives without a UNOG or UNO identity badge should apply in person at the "Pregny Gate" security entrance, 8-14 avenue de La Paix, as from Friday, 31 July 2008. Upon presentation of identification and a copy of the letter requesting accreditation, a photo-badge valid for the duration of the session will be issued.
The accreditation office of the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee at the "Pregny Gate" security entrance will be open from Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 17:00 for the duration of the session.
Access to the public gallery
3. The secretariat wishes to remind all persons who wish to observe the proceedings of the Human Rights Council without being accredited as participants (mainly students, researchers and academics) that there are a limited number of seats in the Public Gallery, above the conference room. Individuals or groups who wish to attend are required to send a letter (24 hours before the desired date) to the secretariat, containing the following information:
(a) Date(s) of the visit;
(b) Purpose of the visit; and
(c) Full name(s) of those wishing to attend.
Access to the public gallery will be granted depending on the availability of seating and other circumstances.
Further information for NGOs
Renewal of the designation of representatives
4. NGOs are reminded that each year they need to send information concerning their organization and renew the designation of representatives to the United Nations, by completing the DESA/NGO/2008 form, as from 1 January of the current year. This form can be found on the following website: http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo
5. When completed, the form must be returned by fax or by mail to: NGO Liaison Unit, Office of the Director-General, United Nations Office in Geneva, Palais des Nations, Room 155, 1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland; Fax: +41 22 917 05 83; Tel: +41 22 917 21 27; E-mail: email@example.com .
Requests for travel visas
6. NGOs wishing to request a "certificate of attestation" in order to facilitate obtaining their visas must send their requests to the NGO Liaison Office two weeks in advance of their participation in the session.
7. Persons not accredited to the session, who are invited to take part in parallel meetings, should go with identification to the "Pregny Gate" security entrance where they will be issued with a "Parallel Event" photo-badge. The NGO in charge of organizing the meeting is requested to provide the secretariat with a complete list of its guests at least 48 hours prior to the day of the meeting.